Cobmalian

The unspoiled world of senior cobs, David and Master Dibble

Friday, July 06, 2007

Lesson with Andy


Both Dads were away on holiday for seven or eight sleeps which is quite a long time - even to senior cobs. Dibby and I were pleased to see them back -although we got quite a few minties and some welcome fuss while they were away, we received even more when they returned.

We were given a holiday from schooling while they were away and when Dad tried a day or so after returning, he found I had quite a bad cough. After a few days Rob the vet called to examine me and said I had an allergy and a respiratory problem. He suggested that I was switched away from a straw bed and haylage, so next day Dad put down some rubber mats and a shavings bed and fed me on soaked hay -which I do not like as much as haylage. I am also having a couse of Ventapulmin in my breakfast and tea and as much time in the field as is possible - given that it is now occupied each night.

Dad have me another week or so off and arranged a lesson with Andy for today. When Dad had tacked me up and was putting on is chaps I managed to remove my stable door from its hinges with a deafening noise. I quite frightened myself but didn't rush off, so Dad was relieved and I soon calmed down.

We began on the lesson the lunge and worked on position in walk and sitting and rising trot. Dad focussed on straight back, sitting as deeply as possible on his seat bones, heels down, stirrup on the ball of the foot and hands forward so as not to pull back on my mouth. We worked on leg position -knee off and lower leg on with pressure alternately in the walk. Dad had to shorten his stirrups and remember to turn his chest, shoulders and head on the circle, to halt with a deepening in the seat and tightening of the fingers on the reins, but not pulling back. Similarly on moving off a squeeze of the leg aid and giving of the hands. Dad is to keep reminding himself of the basics - back, head up, stretch leg down, heel down, ball of foot on stirrup, hands forward..all rather difficult if you are not particularly well co-ordinated.

Andy rode me for a while in walk and trot and focussed on going forward and gaining roundness. She will ride me for twenty minutes of so at the beginning of our next lesson. Dad had plenty of homework to practice before our session next Wednesday. He was pleased that I only coughed once during the lesson and then my breathing seemed clear. Also we were fortunate that it hardly rained during the lesson - Dad says this is rare during the second week of Wimbledon.

We came in and for grooming and an apple. I went out to graze with Cricket whilst Other Dad rode Dibby and then Dibby joined us. Now I am on shavings one or other Dad tends to come down in the evening to skip out and check I am not coughing. Dibby and I look forward to the extra minties and company. Dibby and I are pleased they have come back. Cobs like it when things return to normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home