Cobmalian

The unspoiled world of senior cobs, David and Master Dibble

Monday, April 24, 2006

Group lesson on a Spring evening



A busy start to the week. Other Dad came early and trotted Dibbs up in front of Di and Becky, who could see he was a little unlevel behind. It seems he tweaked a muscle in jumping yesterday - perhaps wasn't warmed up enough.
Dibbs and I went out to graze in our rugs. Being clipped the weather still didn't seem good enough to do without them.
Dad brought us in at about 4.00 in the afternoon. He then groomed me and tacked me up in readiness for a group flatwork lesson with Liz at 5.30.
I enjoy these lessons. There were six horses in each session; with me there were Leo, Jinsky, Bonny, Kamara and a new chestnut gelding whose name I forget. We warmed up in walk and trot concentrating on roundness and giving with the hand. We did leg yield in walk and sitting trot - which was challenging - and worked on sitting trot generally.
For the first time, we worked on turns about the forehand which I found quite difficult but managed to do, after a fashion. We also cantered in a circle with two other horses and in a grand finale all cantered together around the school. This was an interesting execrcise and I got a little excited, which meant Dad had to practice taking a pull and letting go and sitting up and back to avoid getting carted. It was quite tiring but good to practice with such a large group.
After the lesson, Dad sponged me off and let me cool downand gave me an apple and herby treats - which Dibbs had too. Then he put on my rug and after about half an hour gave me my tea. I enjoyed the session, but missed Dibbs joining in; however we professional cobs get used to missing the odd fixture with injuries from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home